Manistee North Pierhead Lighthouse
One of the most symbolic icons of the Victorian Port City is the North Pierhead Lighthouse, located between the 1st Street and 5th Avenue beaches.
Manistee North Pierhead Lighthouse History & Facts
Standing watch over Lake Michigan waters, the North Pierhead Lighthouse welcomes boaters into its harbor, and is a reminder of Manistee's great maritime history.
First built in 1869, it burned in the Great Fire and a new one was constructed in 1872. The North Pierhead Lighthouse is built from cast iron and stands 39 feet tall.
Many changes have taken place over the years--including a wooden catwalk that was eventually replaced by an iron one around 1900. Many Michigan lighthouses demolished their catwalks when the lights became electrified, so Manistee's catwalk is a rare sight. In the late 1920s, after extensive pier renovations, the old fog signal building was replaced by the present structure.
Directions to Manistee North Pierhead Lighthouse
From Highway 31 in Manistee, take Memorial Drive, the first street north of the Manistee River, west towards Lake Michigan. Memorial Drive will become 5th Avenue. Take 5th Avenue to John Red Szymarek Park at the corner of 5th and Monroe. Turn right and follow Monroe to a traffic circle whose center piece is a lighthouse. Go 3/4 of the way around the circle and turn right on Lakeshore Drive. You can either park in the 5th Avenue beach parking lot or continue on a bit and possibly park near the Coast Guard Station, from there you can walk the breakwater to reach the Manistee Lighthouse.
More Manistee Michigan Info...
- Visit Manistee County Michigan
- Book Your Casino Gaming Trip
- Featured Manistee Area Businesses
- Enjoy the Winter Season in Manistee County!
- Manistee National Forest
- Tour the S.S. City of Milwaukee & US Coast Guard Cutter Acacia in Manistee
- Manistee Charter Boat Fishing on Lake Michigan
- The Vogue Theatre: An Integral Piece of Manistee's Rich History
- Discover Manistee's Riverwalk!
- Manistee Area Weather
More West Michigan Lighthouse Info...
- Ludington's North Breakwater Light at Stearns Park
- The Lighthouses of Ludington
- Pentwater Pierhead Lights
- Manistee North Pierhead Lighthouse
- Visit West Michigan Lighthouses
- Nights at the Lights Features Entertainment at the Lighthouses
- Visit the Grand Haven Lighthouse and Pier
- White River Light Station